LTC Secondary Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Option A: Standardized test scores.  Includes PSAT10, SAT, and ACT scores.

PSAT10 cutoffs:        
430 English/Reading
480 Math

SAT cutoffs:        
480 English/Reading
530 Math

ACT cutoffs:        
19 English
18 Reading
21 Math

Option B:  High school transcript

Transfer classes:    
3.0 cumulative GPA 
B average in college track English courses (ENG specific)
B average in college track math courses (MTH specific)

Option C:  ACCUPLACER  (students will only be able to test 2 times in 1 academic year)

English or Writing: 250
Math: 250

Option D:  counselor petition form

Counselors can petition on behalf of students who do not meet the criteria in options A-C.  Students may be up to 5 points under the required testing scores and a few tenths of a point away on GPA scores.
Must make a request to your high school counselor.

General questions about course offerings or how dual credit works can be addressed with any of the LTC dual credit staff.  Specific student information is covered by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy ACT (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) which is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.  It is IECC policy that students must complete a Release of Information form and return it to the Admissions & Records Office for anyone else to receive access to that student’s education records.  Release of Information forms are valid indefinitely unless removal is requested by the student.  Students and parent/guardians should discuss whether a release should be on file.  The form can be completed:

  • at dual credit orientation
  • during advising appointments, or 
  • upon request at the Admissions & Records Office.  

Please bear in mind this form simply allows information to be released.  This does not give right for a parent to act on a student’s behalf, including registering for a course or dropping a course.

The simple answer is:  high school instructors who are considered “qualified” and faculty employed by IECC.  

IECC is guided by regulations from two different bodies:  the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), an accrediting body, and the Illinois Community College Board (ICCB).  HLC is one of six accrediting bodies across the nation that ensure the quality, standards, and rigor of colleges.  ICCB is the “state coordinating board for Illinois community colleges.  Under the authority of the P-20 Longitudinal Education Data System Act (105 ILCS 13/1 et seq.) (the “LDS Act”), ICCB is the State Education Authority responsible for collecting and maintaining enrollment, completion, and student characteristic information on community college students.  Illinois Community College System data collection, administrative data matching, and reporting is coordinated through ICCB” (  

We know that each high school within the IECC district hires competent and unique staff based on their school’s needs.  Guidance from HLC and ICCB provides community colleges with specific criteria necessary to hire faculty members.  Because dual credit courses bear college credit, the faculty member must meet the college’s hiring criteria.  It is important that these requirements are followed to maintain accreditation which is part of what makes dual credit courses so widely transferable. 

Unfortunately, high school students are typically not eligible for financial aid.  Students are encouraged to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) during their senior year of high school to begin the process of receiving financial aid the following year when they attend college.  FASFA opens on October 1st and students and parent/guardians will use tax information from two years prior to filing.  LTC offers a FAFSA night every fall and counselors at the high schools are also another good resource for more information regarding FASFA.

At this time, we do not offer any scholarships specifically for dual credit students.

While historically students have been able to show up and register in class in August for courses like welding, we no longer allow this process.  It is important that students register in advance to ensure a seat in the course.  For example, there may only be 20 seats in welding class.  If a student reports to class on the first day of the semester and has not registered, the course may already be full.  It is your responsibility to register, preferably before the first day of classes.  Students will not be allowed to sit in a class they are not registered for with a promise to register later.  Especially in classes like welding where students are working with equipment and must follow safety rules, we are liable for unregistered students which makes it imperative that students enroll properly.

Regular class attendance is necessary if a student is to receive maximum benefits from their courses. Regular attendance is the responsibility of the student. All absences and arrangements for make-up work are arranged directly with the student and instructor, who is responsible for determining whether the absence is excused. When the quality of work has been affected by absences or tardiness, the instructor may recommend that the student be dropped from the course. Make-up work for illness and other absences may be accepted at the discretion of the instructor. Please note that it is the student’s responsibility to notify their instructors of an absence, not the parent’s, unless in case of an emergency. A student can notify the instructor of an absence by email. Students who have a pre-arranged absence (i.e. doctor appointment, field trip, sporting event, SAT testing) should discuss options with the instructor prior to missing class.

College courses are both interesting and challenging. Students should remember that a dual credit course is a college course from the college curriculum. Student course responsibilities are the same as for other college students. The teaching methods are the same as those taught at the college, and students will be expected to conduct themselves as college students. College courses sometimes deal with controversial, sensitive, and/or adult material. Students are expected to be prepared for college-level content. If the student is not comfortable with the material, it is important to contact the advisor and high school counselor within the first ten days of class to change courses. It is important to review the syllabi as soon as possible to view course information. 

IECC is committed to maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, its amendments, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on behalf of students who require modifications to policies, practices, or procedures in order to participate in college-directed and supported functions. Students who desire special accommodations should contact the ADA Coordinator at their college of attendance. 

Students taking classes through LTC should contact Rena Gower at or 618-544-8657 ext. 1427 for more information. If a student is taking classes online at a different campus, please visit to view contact information for other ADA Coordinators. 

Nondiscrimination: The Illinois Eastern Community Colleges District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, or any other protected category in educational programs, activities, admission, or employment practices. Inquiries about this policy should be made to the IECC Title IX/ADA Coordinator at 618-393-3491 or

Final grades for dual credit courses will be reflected on both the student’s high school transcript and on the student’s permanent college record. Students can access their final grades following final exams through their Entrata account under the Student’s tab. Please remember that dual credit grades follow students to their next institution on their transcript. 

IECC dual credit courses are college courses and may be transferrable to other colleges and universities. The general education core curriculum at IECC was developed through the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) and these courses are transferable to more than 100 participating colleges and universities in Illinois. This core curriculum includes courses in communications, mathematics, physical and life sciences, humanities and fine arts, and social and behavioral sciences. The general education core curriculum is the starting point for students pursuing an associate transfer degree (60 or more semester credits) or a bachelor’s degree (120 or more credits). 

Be sure to talk to your high school counselor and an IECC college advisor for additional information concerning transfer courses. To learn more about the IAI system and other transfer information, visit their website at While IAI courses only apply to Illinois, we work with several out-of-state universities that accept IECC credits and may have transfer guides available. 

To request a transcript, you may go to and use the National Student Clearinghouse link to send your transcript electronically. You may also visit the Admissions and Records window and fill out paperwork to send your transcript. Your transcript is only official if you do not open the envelope or if it is received by another institution’s records department electronically. You may request your own transcript to be sent to yourself, but it is not official if you forward it on elsewhere. There is a small fee of between $5-$8 to send your transcript, dependent on if you send it electronically or through the mail. You may view your own unofficial transcript through Entrata in the Student’s tab. 

Students are not required to have a student ID to attend LTC, but there are some great benefits associated with having one, such as:

  • Identification – many offices across campus will need to verify ID.  The LTC ID is a great way to take care of that, as well as a way to know your student ID number that is specific to each individual student.
  • Library card
  • Load money on for use in the Statesman Grill 
  • Entry to sporting events

To obtain a student ID, you can attend dual credit orientation or contact your advisor for directions.